
Wayne Rooney spoke of his happiness at signing a new long-term contract extension with United on Friday, days after he stated his intention to move elsewhere. The 24-year-old striker made a remarkable u-turn on Friday morning, topping-off an extraordinary week at the club...
After weeks of speculation about the star's future at Old Trafford, Sir Alex Ferguson broke the news on Tuesday that Wayne Rooney would not be signing a new contract extension, and that the striker was 'adamant' he wanted to leave. After apologising to United players, staff and fans - Rooney accepted the original offer after 'assurances' were guaranteed.
"He apologised to me this morning and to the players," said Sir Alex, talking to MUTV. "I think he will do that with the fans, which is important. We have all been hurt by the events of the last couple of days, but I always feel it is a good quality in a person when they say they're sorry and realise that they have made a mistake. That happens, particularly with young people."
Rooney, who turns 25 on Sunday, accepted a £230,000 per week deal (before tax), making him the highest paid player in Premier League history, but more importantly - keeping him at the club until the summer of 2015 at the earliest.
"I'm delighted to sign another deal at United." Rooney told the club's official TV channel. "In the last couple of days, I've talked to the manager and the owners and they've convinced me this is where I belong. I said on Wednesday the manager's a genius and it's his belief and support that have convinced me to stay."
"I'm signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history - which is the reason I joined the club in the first place."
"I'm sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they've read and seen. But my position was from concern over the future. The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it's up to me through my performances to win them over again."