The Audi A5 Coupe.


Earlier this year, I did a little comparison on the Audi A4, Mercedes C200 as well as the Lexus IS250. The conclusion - I wanted to get the Audi S4 ahaha. Or perhaps the Lexus IS-F. =) For a similar price range - RM230k - RM270k - these were the best cars there were I believe. I am a lover of supercars - and I begin to like the Audis a lot, especially the Audi R8.

The Audi A4.

Anyways, today I would like to introduce you all to the Audi A5 Coupe. =)
The car... at RM 399,900 - is pretty hefty for a 2.0 litre coupe. But then, it is the class and the quality that drives it. It is not the cheapest thing out there and there are various other options from other makes - I sat in the Nissan 370Z yesterday and that... at similar prices, was a different animal altogether. But then, once again, a European make would always be different to a Japanese make.

There are actually so many different engine variations to choose from; ; two big TDI diesels in 2.7 or 3.0 flavours and three petrols to name a few. There's the base 1.8, a 3.2 V6 and the 4.2 V8 in the S5 (see separate listing). The lowly 1.8T FSI manages to crack 62mph in just 8.4 seconds and hits 140mph - but the pick of the bunch is the 3.0 diesel; it's quick, and impressive through the gears.

In Malaysia however, Audi Malaysia is only bring in one variant - thats the 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-Line. (that's going for RM399,900!) I would go for this Audi A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro model. If you give this model a chance, you'll likely walk away impressed by its torquey performance and high fuel economy.

This Audi A5 Coupe is powered by either a turbocharged 2.0-liter four with 211 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, or a 3.2-liter V6 that generates 265 hp and 243 lb-ft of torque. Transmission options for the 2.0T consist of a six-speed manual and a six-speed automatic with manual shift control, while the V6 is automatic-only. The V6-powered A5 does 6.4 seconds from zero to 60 mph. The 2.0 TFSi - does it in 6.5 seconds and has a top speed of 245 km/h. Not the fastest - but I think I'll be satisfied with the speeds.

The 2010 Audi A5 handles well, with good body control and relentless AWD traction. However, it weighs more than its rear-wheel-drive rivals, which largely explains why it feels more like a grand touring coupe than a high-performance one. The standard speed-sensitive power steering system can seem artificially light at parking lot speeds and too heavy on the highway, though it's highly precise. The optional variable-ratio steering system that comes with the Audi Drive Select package feels even more contrived, but at least it's adjustable according to driver preference.

So... what do you think of my new favourite car? Time to change the Golf GTi to this!